Royal Festival Hall held the star-studded UK Asian Music Awards last night which is the only awards ceremony which celebrates the immense talent of British Asian music artists in the UK.
The all-star line up at the event made it one of the most exciting shows in the event’s seven year history. The theme for the night echoed the increasing trend of up and coming British Artists collaborating with top names from the USA and the UK. Jagged Edge put on a special performance with Brit-Asian producer Shayal, Amar performed her new song, ‘Show it Off’ with Jim Beanz and Rebel from the Timbaland production line and there was an all UK collaboration with D Boy, Sef, Truth, and Romeo of So Solid.
To add to the amazing line up, Pras Michel, formerly of US rap supergroup The Fugees teamed up with British Asian singer and actress Preeya Kalidas and we saw a funky twist to A R Rahman’s “Ringa Ringa” from the soundtrack of Oscar winning movie “Slumdog Millionaire” performed by Karen David, Shahin Badar and Metz and Trix. Rishi Rich Productions put on a fantastic set, showcasing some of their latest material.
And the winners are:
And the winners are:• Best Album – Jay Sean – My Own Way
• Best Act – H Dhami
• Best Male Artist – Jay Sean
• Best Female Artist –M.I.A
• Best Alternative Act – Nitin Sawhney
• Best Video – Jazzy B ‘Rambo’
• Best International Act - Miss Pooja
• Best International Album – Gurdas Maan – Boot Polishan
• Best Newcomer – Jaz Dhami
• Best Producer – Rishi Rich
• Best Club DJ – DJ Vix
• Best Urban Act – Jay Sean
• Best Radio Show – Bobby Friction (BBC Asian Network)
• Outstanding Achievement – Rishi Rich
• Commitment to the Scene – A.R Rahman
Share your thoughts/views on this!